[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neutral Man" <neutralman at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall QOS - p2p vs. games/VoIP
 Date:  Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:23:01 +0100
Dear all,

I am writing you because I can't make what I want out of m0n0wall
Traffic Shaper is the most interesting feature in m0n0wall - for me

I am running m0n0wall on AMD 800, 256MB DDR, 2X 3C905b NIC and 32mb CF card
it works great, connected to DSL connection (2048/256k)

I did bandwidth test on few different websites, dslreports, speedtest...
I get about 1750/216k - real speed (out of 2048/256k)

so I have used m0n0wall Magic Shaper wizard, entering there values
(1750/216)
pipes at last have about 1520/192k - so there is no problem my upload would
be congested
I put p2p to lowest priority, share bandwidth equally on LAN

I have added rule (on top of all) that all <- traffic: from source port
28960 to destination port 28960 is highest priority upload #1
also, I have added rule that all -> traffic: from port 28960 source to
destination 28960 is highest priority download
I have selected all protocols (not just TCP or UDP)
Call of duty game use port 28960, both for client and server (I have double
checked firewall states)

the problem is, when my friend try to play Call Of Duty, while I am running
torrent, he get very bad ping (about 500ms)
if I disable traffic shaper, he have almost the same ping as well ! !

I have tried NOT to share bandwidth equally on LAN, but nothing has changed.
is there any way to reserve certain amount of bandwidth for some queue?

if I put new pipe with 64kbps upload, than p2p is under control, but when
Call Of Duty is not running, I can't use rest of bandwidth.

Please advise, your help is appreciated.
Kind regards,
NM