[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall QOS - p2p vs. games/VoIP
 Date:  Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:05:14 -0000
> the problem is, when my friend try to play Call Of Duty, while I am
> running torrent, he get very bad ping (about 500ms) if I disable
> traffic shaper, he have almost the same ping as well ! !

Something I've noticed over the last 6 months or so with BitTorrent is that
the port range it uses is now so varied that trying to apply shaping to
BitTorrent traffic on the basis of port numbers is virtually impossible.
Traditionally BitTorrent used ports 6881-6999, but recent versions of
Azureus select a random port > 1024 during their installation process, which
makes filtering on traditional BT ports almost worthless.

The only way I've been able to reliable shape BT traffic is by specifying IP
ToS in Azureus (it's in advanced connection options) then creating
appropriate shaper rules to select that ToS.

Obviously this requires the co-operation of your users, so isn't an ideal
solution in all circumstances.

Regards,

Chris