[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mtnbkr <waa dash m0n0wall at revpol dot com>
 To:  "C. Andrew Zook" <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Could someone please recommend a good network monitoring package compatible with m0n0?
 Date:  Fri, 19 Jan 2007 11:33:26 -0500
C. Andrew Zook wrote:
> I prefer to use the combo of tinyproxy/dansguardian/srg
>
> Tinyproxy is the proxy server
> Dansguardian filters internet content
> srg produces web based reports
>
> It gives a really nice/basic web based text only report that will show
> you all of the sites that your users have surfed, and will arrange the
> users by total bandwidth/ip address. Dansguardian has the added benefit
> of running everything through Clamav to offer some virus protection.
>
> All three are Debian/Ubuntu packages.
>
> Set Tinyproxy to only accept connections from localhost
> Point Dansguardian to the localhost Tinyproxy port
> Set dansguardian to use a Squid format log file
> Point srg to the /var/log/dansguardian/
> Block all internet access but Proxy server with M0n0wall
> Either set web browsers to use proxy, or set up automatic browser
> configuration
>
> Andy

Nice post Andy... The ONLY things I would add to this are:

Webmin, and the DansGuardian Webmin module.

The Dansguardian Webmin module can be used to manage/configure Dans
Guardian, but I have found reporting to be its most useful thing.

That, along with an admin's ability to assign people the ability to
create reports, or block unblock sites/etc makes this a valuable
combination.

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity