[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Nate Osborne" <nosborne at purchasingpower dot com>
 To:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Using Captive Portal offline?
 Date:  Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:58:07 -0500
Thanks Lee.  This is what I was thinking too, except that the DNSForwarder doesn't accept wildcards.
 Is this a GUI limitation?  i.e., is it possible to add wildcard entries from a shell rather than
through the GUI?

I'm hoping to use the CP to forward to a local web server, and I'm contractually bound to not allow
Internet access in order to not compete with a wireless hotspot provider in the same area.  Since
all I want is for clients to hit an app running on my local web server, no Internet access isn't a
problem.  I can't figure out how to get the CP to work though, unless there is a real live DNS
connection that resolves external URL requests.  The DNS lookups to Internet sites fail, so the
request is never sent and the CP doesn't forward to the local address.

I can just tell clients what local URL to type in, but I'd like it so that when they connect it'll
forward to the local web server regardless of their home page.

Is there another way to do this through a proxy or static routes somehow instead of the CP?

Thanks for any help.