[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Armstrong" <lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  SNMP identification of m0n0wall boxes
 Date:  Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:54:56 -0000
Hi,

I'm currently writing an NMS which uses SNMP to automatically guess the
operating system of hosts and setup graphing/monitoring accordingly.

The cut-down SNMP daemon in m0n0 massively reduces the number of things I
can monitor on m0n0, and I can't see a way to easily identify m0n0wall via
SNMP using version strings or similar. I'm currently manually identifying
m0n0 boxes in the database, which then limits the amount of information the
application tries to poll/display.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to identify m0n0wall and pfSense via
SNMP?

Could a simple change be made to allow them to be easily identified? (a
custom OID for pfSense giving out its version would be great!)

Perhaps a m0n0 identifier and version could be appended to the freebsd
kernel version?

Thanks,
Adam.