[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jason P Jones" <jjones at integracon dot com>
 To:  "'John Voigt'" <1geek at jvoigt dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0Wall vendor
 Date:  Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:54:09 -0500
How many linux-based firewalls are there out there for sale... How many
people have downloaded a Redhat, Debian, or Gentoo ISO- installed, and went
to town on iptables, snort, etc...  Then put this in place for customers.
How about all the commercial products based on Linus' work? Look at the
Linksys products and for that matter Watchguard (all but sohos run linux
from CF)- of course they add some good extensions and usually a good GUI on
top. We've only sold a few of these thus far, but I feel that as long as you
contribute what you can back (I already donated from the first sale) and
continue to do so (We intend to do so), then "slimey" applies just as much
to the act of Advance Autoparts selling me a muffler that someone else made
for a 20% markup.

Not still of course a business model to be made around this, but when what
to buy for X solution comes up, it is an OPTION. Customers like those. We
also resell Watchguard, Cisco PIX, Firewall-1, Raptor, and a ton more. I
just appreciate the simplicity and like (as one of the guys that fixes them
for the customer) being able to KNOW the guts of the product and see deeper
into why something does or doesn't work when troubleshooting. Obviously, I'm
not saying start iamfirewalls.com and take m0n0 (from Manuel's labor) and
sell it as your own, but in the real world here customers want solutions to
problems, and many (not all) don't care what that solution is as long as it
works and it keeps doing so. So if you do install a Soekris with m0n0 or
whatever other solution for a customer, then at least try to give back, and
give credit/contributions to where they should go (Manuel and the m0n0wall
project in this case).

Jason P Jones
MCSE+I,MCT,CCNA,LCP,CCA,CNA,CIWA,INET+,Network+,A+
Integracon Technologies
865.382.7400