[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0Wall vendor
 Date:  Mon, 02 Feb 2004 09:06:21 +1000
Hi John,

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 08:35, John Voigt wrote:
> I don't know - I'd feel a little slimey selling a system containing software
> that Manuel has put so much time and effort into.  1 or 2 extras I had lying
> around is one thing but making a business out of it is another.  Maybe if I
> licensed the software from him and paid something for it.  Still hard to
> compete with consumer grade firewalls (linksys, dlink etc)

You can feel as slimey as you want/need to feel, but most of the rest of
the world probably won't join you.  Personally, if I choose to package a
GPL product, install and configure it, ship it and provide first line
support for it, my clients *are* going to pay for that.  If they want to
do this all themselves, then fine with me.

As before, any GPL products I "sell" to commercial companies result in
me making a donation to either FSF or to the project - not all the money
I made, but some of it.  I don't do this because I have to, I do this
because I want to.  If I support GPL projects, then the projects will
likely continue instead of fold - a personal and professional choice I
make.  I also support those projects I use in other ways where I can.

D-Link kit is decent.  But what ACTUALLY is it doing?  Can you see the
source code, do you know what security flaws it has, and can you
customize it if needed?

Linksys is utter trash.  I have and will continue to refuse to support
it.  It is just garbage.  (My personal and professional opinion there.)

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/