[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Francois Gurin <matrix at spic dot net>
 To:  mono <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall with znyx nics
 Date:  Mon, 2 Feb 2004 07:29:46 -0500
I know this probably won't affect most people, but I have found that the
kernel included with pb26 has problems dealing with znyx 414 (and possibly
other znyx network cards as well).  This appears to be an old *bsd issue
with the tulip drivers, as referenced in the following url, but I haven't
yet ascertained whether it's the exact same issue or just a very similar
issue.
 http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/165/2000/1/50/3168212/

The most interesting bit is that if I run linux or ipso (yes, i'm running
m0n0wall on a nokia appliance :) their drivers work with the cards no
problem and a subsequent boot of m0n0wall has the cards running perfectly
for a while, until it stops working.

The most consistent way to make the driver fail is to make modifications to
the interface settings.  I was happily running m0n0wall for a few days
without incident until I decided to setup opt1 to do something interesting.
Next thing I know, it's "No Carrier" on the interface status.

I haven't seen much current information on running the znyx cards under
freebsd, and i've only grazed the surface of looking into this, so I'm not
certain if there is already a fix in place for the de/dc drivers, if the
znyx znb drivers are required, or if something else entirely is called for.

The znyx driver has some interesting trunking/failover options that'd be
nice to have on a firewall but I don't know offhand how they compare to
the stock drivers,

http://www.znyx.com/support/drivers/ZX414_drivers.htm

the drivers are binary only and don't include a license, so I am going to
contact znyx to find out what the deal would be for distribution.

On an almost related note, because the nokia ip650 does have a built in video
card, and only one external serial port which should be something like sio2
(0 & 1 should be onboard and inaccessable) a custom build may not be so bad.
Beats having to pull everything from the case to set the console.

As far as putting together such an image, I should be able to just compile a
new kernel (and perhaps remake the boot blocks) and stick it on the image with
the current rootfs, right?

--francois