[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Valid Interface List is Empty on Setup
 Date:  Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:14:42 +1000
Hi Ben,

O!  How I love Microsoft's version of text.  Even more than I love html
email.  :(

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 08:42, Ben Carlisle wrote:
> Folks,
>    Spent some time scouring the archive with no results.
>
>    I am trying to setup m0n0wall on an old piece of hardware, a PI/166. I have two ISA NICs in the
box, both of which are NE2k-compats (they're even the same model). I have FreeBSD 4.8 installed on
the box, and when I boot my normal kernel, I can detect them both (although I did have to recompile
the GENERIC kernel to add device ed1).

>    However, when I boot m0n0wall (from CD), everything boots fine and I get the console menu. I
select option 1, expecting to assign my NICs, and the list of 'Valid interfaces' is empty! I tried
entering ed0 and ed1 but neither worked. (Invalid interface name). Scrolling up in the dmesg, I get
a message that says "Initializing PC cards ... failed. (probably no PC card controller present)"
Might this have something to do with it?

>    Now, I'm very new to both FreeBSD and m0n0wall. I'm hoping it is a drastic oversight on my
part. But I cannot find any references to this stuff in existing documentation. Does anyone have any
idea what is going on here, or have some things I can try? Again, I'm a newbie to this stuff so I
would greatly appreciate any assistance.

ISA NICs are not supported, it seems.  3Com 3C09 ISA NICs (the best ISA
NICs ever made) aren't supported, so I assume no ISA NICs are supported.

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/