[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  Hilton at QuarkAV dot com, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Valid Interface List is Empty on Setup
 Date:  Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:19:35 -0500
At 07:14 PM 2/2/2004, Hilton Travis wrote:
>Hi Ben,
>
>O!  How I love Microsoft's version of text.  Even more than I love html
>email.  :(
>
>On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 08:42, Ben Carlisle wrote:
> > Folks,
> >    Spent some time scouring the archive with no results.
> >
> >    I am trying to setup m0n0wall on an old piece of hardware, a PI/166.
> I have two ISA NICs in the box, both of which are NE2k-compats (they're
> even the same model). I have FreeBSD 4.8 installed on the box, and when I
> boot my normal kernel, I can detect them both (although I did have to
> recompile the GENERIC kernel to add device ed1).
> >
> >    However, when I boot m0n0wall (from CD), everything boots fine and I
> get the console menu. I select option 1, expecting to assign my NICs, and
> the list of 'Valid interfaces' is empty! I tried entering ed0 and ed1 but
> neither worked. (Invalid interface name). Scrolling up in the dmesg, I
> get a message that says "Initializing PC cards ... failed. (probably no
> PC card controller present)" Might this have something to do with it?
> >
> >    Now, I'm very new to both FreeBSD and m0n0wall. I'm hoping it is a
> drastic oversight on my part. But I cannot find any references to this
> stuff in existing documentation. Does anyone have any idea what is going
> on here, or have some things I can try? Again, I'm a newbie to this stuff
> so I would greatly appreciate any assistance.
>
>ISA NICs are not supported, it seems.  3Com 3C09 ISA NICs (the best ISA
>NICs ever made) aren't supported, so I assume no ISA NICs are supported.

Actually I was able to get my 3c509b combo card to work under m0n0 by
setting it in plug-n-play mode.  The drivers are there, but they don't
normally get detected. Can't speak for the other variants though.  I was
disappointed myself when support for these started dropping off.  I've got
buckets of them, and they work great for DSL/cable connections.  A 10/100
card is just a waste for that connection.

HTH

Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick any two