[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Hilton Travis <Hilton at QuarkAV dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Valid Interface List is Empty on Setup
 Date:  Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:57:41 +1000
Hi Melvin,

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 12:19, Melvin Backus wrote:
> At 07:14 PM 2/2/2004, Hilton Travis wrote:
> >Hi Ben,
> >
> >O!  How I love Microsoft's version of text.  Even more than I love html
> >email.  :(
> >
> >On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 08:42, Ben Carlisle wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >    Spent some time scouring the archive with no results.
> > >
> > >    I am trying to setup m0n0wall on an old piece of hardware, a PI/166.
> > I have two ISA NICs in the box, both of which are NE2k-compats (they're
> > even the same model). I have FreeBSD 4.8 installed on the box, and when I
> > boot my normal kernel, I can detect them both (although I did have to
> > recompile the GENERIC kernel to add device ed1).
> > >
> > >    However, when I boot m0n0wall (from CD), everything boots fine and I
> > get the console menu. I select option 1, expecting to assign my NICs, and
> > the list of 'Valid interfaces' is empty! I tried entering ed0 and ed1 but
> > neither worked. (Invalid interface name). Scrolling up in the dmesg, I
> > get a message that says "Initializing PC cards ... failed. (probably no
> > PC card controller present)" Might this have something to do with it?
> > >
> > >    Now, I'm very new to both FreeBSD and m0n0wall. I'm hoping it is a
> > drastic oversight on my part. But I cannot find any references to this
> > stuff in existing documentation. Does anyone have any idea what is going
> > on here, or have some things I can try? Again, I'm a newbie to this stuff
> > so I would greatly appreciate any assistance.
> >
> >ISA NICs are not supported, it seems.  3Com 3C09 ISA NICs (the best ISA
> >NICs ever made) aren't supported, so I assume no ISA NICs are supported.
>
> Actually I was able to get my 3c509b combo card to work under m0n0 by
> setting it in plug-n-play mode.  The drivers are there, but they don't
> normally get detected. Can't speak for the other variants though.  I was
> disappointed myself when support for these started dropping off.  I've got
> buckets of them, and they work great for DSL/cable connections.  A 10/100
> card is just a waste for that connection.

Very interesting.  I default all my 3C509 NICs to run at a fixed
address, and disable PnP on them.  This is the way many Linux firewalls
need these cards to be configured - including SmoothWall.  I will soon
try to configure a m0n0wall with some 3C509 NICs running in PnP mode and
confirm this works.

I hope it does - these NICs are as reliable as all hell, and abundant.
I also happen to have about 25 of them here in a box.  :)

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV dot com
         Quark Computers        Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/

				http://www.mamboband.org/