[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  suggested config for dumb wireless bridge?
 Date:  Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:51:20 -0800
Yet another attempt to use m0n0wall in ways it wasn't designed for but will
likely be wonderful for anyway....

I'd like to set up two computers running m0n0wall connected via ethernet.
One ('relay') will pick up a wireless signal (BSS mode) from a distant AP,
while the 2nd ('AP') will be an AP. I.e., together they will extend the
range of an existing wireless network.

I don't (think I) need any firewall features, or even dhcp initially (later
I'd like to add that to the mix).

For the AP computer, I've succesfully configured m0n0wall as a bridge by
ignoring the WAN port and setting OPT1 (wi0) to bridge to 'LAN' and then
added another rule to allow all OPT1 traffic to LAN.

I'm having a little less success with the 'relay' computer. If I try the
same setup except with BSS specified instead of hostap, I get a message
saying briding isn't allowed.

I tried a few other variations (e.g. set wireless to WAN, enable outbound
NAT), but seemed to get to the point where I needed another subnet (one
incoming, one outbound) which I was (perhaps unadvisedly?) hoping to avoid.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious as my network routing knowledge is
only skin deep. Can someone point me in the right direction please?  I'll
write up exactly what I end up with and repost it to the list for everyone
else to benefit from afterwards.

thx! michael

PS: Why m0n0wall when we won't be using its firewall capabilities?  M0n0wall
is compelling because of its ease of configuration (tweak the xml file,
done) and reliability.