[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mike Maltese" <mike at pcmedx dot com>
 To:  "M0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  "Instigater" <bloo at sveiks dot lv>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] New Technology
 Date:  Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:33:04 -0800
> I wonder when m0n0wall will change kernel from 4.9 to 5.2 if ever. Support
> for my wireless card is only in 5.2

I can only guess that Manual, for whatever reason, doesn't feel that 5.X
isn't suitable for this application at this time.

With that said, I have managed to pare 5.1-RELEASE down to ~11MB (~6MB
compressed) with the intent of creating something similar to m0n0wall, but
using pf/ALTQ (in kernel) rather than ipf/ipfw for filtering and traffic
shaping that boots from CD and runs entirely in memory. While I may
replicate this project on 5.2 because of the additional wireless support,
I'm also considering a switch to OpenBSD, not only because pf and ALTQ are
native to the platform, but also because OBSD supports Layer 2 filtering.
Unfortunately, hardware support in OBSD isn't as good as FBSD, which is
really the only thing holding me back.

If anyone is interested in possibly starting an official project based on
either FreeBSD 5.2 or OpenBSD, please let me know.

Mike