[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Francois Gurin <matrix at spic dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall, znyx, kernel config, and ip650 -- an update
 Date:  Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:09:51 -0500
First off, perhaps I'm dense, but I couldn't find the m0n0 kernel conf
anywhere.  The hacker's guide has a broken link to it.  A quick google
found a copy elsewhere.  At the least, the guide should get updated,
unless it's intentionally working as a screening device.

so I made the modifications to the config as per znyx's instructions and
have built a new kernel with the binary drivers replacing the dec tulip
(de & dc) drivers.  I dropped those onto the rootfs (along with new ipfw
and dummyney modules) and m0n0wall on the nokia ip650 seems to not lose
carrier on it's interfaces.

The only introduced problem I've so far noticed is that the ps binary on
te rootfs complains.  My 4.8 host system hasn't been updated in a long
while, but it's no major deal at the moment.

i'll put up the kernel, modules, rootfs, and images hopefully this weekend,
for anyone else who wants to try it out.  With luck I'll get the serial
console going by then too, which will make things more useful.

I'm not sure what to do about the rainlink software that comes with the
znyx drivers.  It's what controls and sets up the trunking and failover
features on these cards. As much as I'd like to see the functionality
available to m0n0wall, I lean towards dropping it.

So once more for the archive and search engines.  if you are having
problems of your de or dc network interfaces showing a status of "No Carrier"
under bsd, you may have a znyx card that really works better with the vendor's
binary drivers.  Hopefully 5.x fixes this :)

--francois