[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  zealot <zealot at tradersguild dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IP Accounting / snmp for signal strength
 Date:  Wed, 04 Feb 2004 16:24:50 -0600
The following is taken from Cacti's FAQ page at
http://www.raxnet.net/products/cacti/documentation.php?action=view&id=8

Before you can create traffic graphs, Cacti must have working SNMP
support. One way to do this is to compile PHP with SNMP support built
in, many times you can install the 'php-snmp' package to do this. The
second option is to have Cacti call the snmpget and snmpwalk binaries
from your ucd-snmp or net-snmp installation [for the curious I chose to
install net-snmp]. You can use the about page to determine whether to
are using "built-in" or "external" SNMP support.

Now that you have working SNMP support, follow these steps.

    1. Click "Polling Hosts" on Cacti's menu.
    2. Click "Add" to add a new polling host.
    3. Type a description, hostname, management IP, and SNMP community.
Make sure to select "Generic SNMP-enabled Host" under "Host Template"
and click "Create".
    4. You should see one or more interfaces listed under the "Data
Query [SNMP - Interface Statistics]" box. Place a check next to each
interface that you want to graph. Below the box, select type of graph
that you want to create (bits, bytes, summation, etc).
    5. Click "Save", and "Create" on the following screen to create your
graphs.