[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Joe LaGreca" <lagreca at hotmail dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP odd problems
 Date:  Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:32:55 -0800
I have a m0n0wall setup at home with pptp turned on and setup.  From work
when I make a connection home m0n0wall my networking become quirky.  Here is
a brief explanation:

I can ping www.yahoo.com fine before the pptp connection.  Then I connect,
and the pings continue for a few more seconds, then all of the sudden I'll
start getting lots of lost packets, 50% or more.  This is all before I start
playing a mp3 over windows filesharing from home.  Once the mp3 starts to
play, the pings improve to almost 100% successful.  However once I stop
using the connection, I start loosing my pings again.  When I disconnect my
pptp connection the pings are perfect again.

The VPN works, its just web browsing and pings are slow and get lost during
the connection when it isn't being used.  Has anyone else heard of this
problem before?  I'm hoping to get another m0n0wall at work and create a
hardware to hardware vpn.  However until then, I need to get pptp working.
I would really appreciate anyones ideas.  Thanks.