[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ben Cressey" <ben at koden dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  m0n0wall questions
 Date:  Thu, 5 Feb 2004 10:17:36 -0500
Presently I use a Sonicwall SOHO device as my hardware firewall, and I'm
looking to update it to something slightly more modern.  It looks like a
Soekris 4501 device + m0n0wall would be a pretty powerful replacement.

I have a couple of questions that aren't immediately obvious to me from
looking at the screenshots and reading the documentation.

I have six static IP addresses from my provider.  I'd like to utilize the
three ports on the Soekris as follows:

1) One interface for the WAN link.
2) One interface (LAN1) for the PCs with static IP addresses (in the public
address space).
3) One interface (LAN2) for the rest of the PCs, numbered using dynamic
private IP addresses (10.0.0.0/24) and using NAT.

(This is a little different from my current setup, in that I have a separate
NAT device attached to my firewall to handle the LAN2 portion.)

I have a couple questions regarding this arrangement:

1) Can I define an interface as a list of IP addresses (66.x.x.196-201),
rather than using CIDR notation?
2) Will devices on LAN1 be able to communicate directly (ie no NAT) with
devices on LAN2 and vice versa?  E.g. can I connect to ports on 66.x.x.196
from 10.0.0.101 and vice versa, without using port forwarding?
3) Can the DHCP server be enabled for more than one interface, and serve
static assignments to the devices on LAN1 and dynamic assignments to the
ones on LAN2?

Ben