[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  <Anthony dot Wyatt at csiro dot au>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic shaping: Queues not working for me!
 Date:  Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:20:12 +1100
Hi Everyone,

  I've been using monowall now for about a month and its great :-)  I
use a DSL connection so I thought I'd shape my traffic. Here is a
description of the testing I have conducted:

When I set up 2 pipes, one small and one large, I can set rules that
will send traffic to those pipes and that traffic will be restricted to
the bandwidth I defined for those pipes.  This works well and as
expected, however it is crude and using queues would be better.

When I set up 1 pipe and tie two queues to it one high (1) and one low
(10), and try and emulate the rules I used with two pipes, the queues
fail to control the traffic, in fact if I turn the traffic shaper off I
get exactly the same response compared to when it's on.  I reduced my
rules to ICMP high, and everything else low. My pings don't change at
all when I turn the traffic shaper on.  I tested this ping using pipes
only and it worked fine.

As far as I can tell the queues are not working at all, I followed the
instructions on the FAQ for ACK prioritisation, but replaced the ACK
with ICMP and there was no change.

Is this just me?  Is there something that is not in the FAQ that I have
to do?

Thanks for your time,

Anthony