[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mike Johnson- Southwestech Computers <mike at southwestech dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] multiple access points with single m0n0wall router]
 Date:  Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:26:55 -0600
Michael wrote:
> If I wanted to added 3 wifi access points to connect to only one m0n0wall
> interface how would this be best setup? I have looked through the listings
> but cannot find any guide definitive enough. I basically would like to offer
> a hotspot via two access points with captive portal via a single monowall
> router.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Mike

I have set up a few like this. I have personally found that using Dumb
AP's can lead to channel jumping, etc. Is it a requirement that each AP
has different addressing? If not, I have had the most success with the
Dlink AP's that support WDS-AP (wireless distribution system). When
configured properly, they all run on the same channel, same SSID and
provide excellent coverage. Instead of the alternate AP's acting alone,
or as a repeater, they mesh together and route the information back to
the original AP by specifying the hops in the network. Since they all
run on the same channel, I find I don't have an issue with channel
hopping in the slim overlap areas like I do with other AP's.
Disable the DHCP in each AP, and setup accordingly. Only the originating
AP needs to be physically connected to the m0n0, so it eliminates extra
cabling and a switch (use a xover).
This configuration would cover an apartment building quite nicely, with
little "tech time" for support.
--

Mike

--