[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Inbound (downloaded) traffic is not being shaped at all
 Date:  Sun, 28 Jan 2007 03:23:44 -0500
On 1/28/07, Michael <zlinda1002 at cox dot net> wrote:
> I have been monitoring the monowall 1.3b2 for awhile now and just realized
> that NO traffic is going through any of the rules that have to do with
> incoming traffic (downloaded to my pc, etc), traffic is fine with the
> outgoing. I have read that monowall doesn't help with inbound traffic for
> some and then others it seems to work.

Nothing can shape inbound traffic effectively. By the time it gets to
your firewall, there's no sense in queuing it since your bottleneck
isn't between the firewall and the internal hosts, it's your Internet
connection and it's already past that point. The only really effective
way to shape that traffic is if you controlled something on your ISP's
end before it gets to your rate-limited link.

-Chris