[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mats Lundqvist" <mats dot lundqvist at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Mike Johnson- Southwestech Computers" <mike at southwestech dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] multiple access points with single m0n0wall router]
 Date:  Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:35:38 +0100
WDS is a bad idea for anything more then two APs. Sure, you get basic
roaming functionality and eliminate the usual problems with repeaters,
but performance goes down the drain.

With WDS, throughput get cut in half with every node you add (rough estimate).

And with WDS, you still de-associate from the old ap and re-associate
with the new ap, so it's not really _true_ roaming anyway...

If you have the option [of using cables to the aps], always go with
stand-alone APs instead of WDS. Use the same channel and the same
SSID, preferably with little overlapping coverage areas (so clients
can roam, too much overlap= performance goes down) and you get the
same functionality as with WDS with no performance loss.

But if you don't have a choice (cabling too expensive, not feasible,
on a budget etc etc..), WDS is a good option.

2007/1/28, Mike Johnson- Southwestech Computers <mike at southwestech dot com>:

> Michael wrote:
> > If I wanted to added 3 wifi access points to connect to only one m0n0wall
> > interface how would this be best setup? I have looked through the listings
> > but cannot find any guide definitive enough. I basically would like to offer
> > a hotspot via two access points with captive portal via a single monowall
> > router.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Mike
> >

> I have set up a few like this. I have personally found that using Dumb
> AP's can lead to channel jumping, etc. Is it a requirement that each AP
> has different addressing? If not, I have had the most success with the
> Dlink AP's that support WDS-AP (wireless distribution system). When
> configured properly, they all run on the same channel, same SSID and
> provide excellent coverage. Instead of the alternate AP's acting alone,
> or as a repeater, they mesh together and route the information back to
> the original AP by specifying the hops in the network. Since they all
> run on the same channel, I find I don't have an issue with channel
> hopping in the slim overlap areas like I do with other AP's.
> Disable the DHCP in each AP, and setup accordingly. Only the originating
> AP needs to be physically connected to the m0n0, so it eliminates extra
> cabling and a switch (use a xover).
> This configuration would cover an apartment building quite nicely, with
> little "tech time" for support.
> --
>

> Mike
>

> --