[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] multiple access points with single m0n0wall router]
 Date:  Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:43:11 -0600
From: "Mike" <lists at southwestech dot com>
> Lee Sharp wrote:

>> Right tool for the job.  I only want religious conviction from a priest,
>> not my network guy. :-)  Some other things to consider is client mode
>> bridging, point to point bridging and point to multipoint bridging.  I do
>> a lot of this.  However, my "bridge network" is different from the public
>> AP network, and SSIDs are not broadcast.  This gives full bandwidth to
>> the bridging network, and the APs act as wired APs.  Most often I use
>> Linksys WRT54GLs with Thybor firmware.  Solid and fantastic
>> troubleshooting.

> Little fuzzy on this one... religious conviction? I didn't realize I was
> implying that, I was just simply stating that this worked well in the
> environment/ mess I was contracted to clean up. Anyways, I will have to
> look into Thybor. I know I have pretty much cycled every linksys device I
> have into the basket since the Cisco takeover, even after exploring a
> couple different types of firmware. I want to check that one out.

Actually I was agreeing with you.  I believe in picking your tool based on
the job, not a love of one tool.  But some people defend there tool choice
with the passion of a religious fanatic. :-)  The Microsoft only shop is a
good example.  My only comment on your WDS network is that it can be harder
to troubleshoot.  That is why in the 59 (or so) sights I am managing, I have
no WDS.  I need top notch remote troubleshooting abilities.  Separating my
transport network from my user network allows this much better.  But that is
for my unique needs.  the amazing part is how well m0n0wall adapts to my
unique monitoring needs.

                                Lee