[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com>
 To:  "David W. Hess" <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Inbound (downloaded) traffic is not being shaped at all
 Date:  Mon, 29 Jan 2007 09:17:46 +0500
On 1/29/07, David W. Hess <dwhess at banishedsouls dot org> wrote:
> I am still using version 1.22 but as far as I know, the traffic shaping rules
> only work on outgoing traffic on an interface so to shape incoming WAN traffic
> the rule must be on the LAN or OPT interface.  If that is still the case, place
> your incoming WAN rules on those interfaces using out at the direction.

No, that is incorrect. If Shaping only worked on outgoing we would not
need the Direction (in/out/any) option in the Shaping rules.

To clarify: Firewall rules only work on the packet as it enters the
firewall. Traffic Shaper rules work wherever they match.
I tend to use only the WAN interface in my rules but that is only to
simplify things, the shaper is difficult as it is.