[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] multiple access points with single m0n0wall router]
 Date:  Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:25:45 +0100
On 1/28/07, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:

> Actually I was agreeing with you.  I believe in picking your tool based on
> the job, not a love of one tool.  But some people defend there tool choice
> with the passion of a religious fanatic. :-)  The Microsoft only shop is a
> good example.  My only comment on your WDS network is that it can be
> harder
> to troubleshoot.  That is why in the 59 (or so) sights I am managing, I
> have
> no WDS.  I need top notch remote troubleshooting abilities.  Separating my
> transport network from my user network allows this much better.  But that
> is
> for my unique needs.  the amazing part is how well m0n0wall adapts to my
> unique monitoring needs.
>
>                                Lee

Yep, I can agree on that. I 've got locations running on m0n0wall (with
wrt54GL , dd-wrt, configured as standalone AP's)
and others running only on WRT54GL's with dd-wrt firmware and chillispot.
With m0n0 you 'll get all the information you would ever need to find a
problem cause. Also it's easy to disconnect CP users.
WRT54GL with dd-wrt is a very nice and cheap solution, but it has quite a
few disadvantages compared to m0n0wall.
I also don't use WDS, all ap's have the same ssid and are on different
channels, as far away from each other as possible.
I have no problems, except from a not-self-cleaning steal session on the
radius from time to time.

Kind regards,

Yves