[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mats Lundqvist" <mats dot lundqvist at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Strange behavior makes network unstable
 Date:  Tue, 30 Jan 2007 17:06:35 +0100
A bit off topic, but I just want to point out that the WRT54G v5 can
also run linux nowadays :)

Even though it's a very castrated router/ap and with a lack of
ram/flash, it's much more stable with dd-wrt then that useless VxWorks
they had before.

Note that the more advanced features are missing (RADIUS support,
captive portal, dyndns...).

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_your_WRT54G_or_WRT54GS_v5_series_%28v5%2C_v5.1%2C_v6%29

And to OP Alex:
Netgear still have some good switches that are suitable for small
networks. The FS726T has about 256kb ram can do vlans and is managed.

2007/1/30, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>:
> From: "Alex M" <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net>
>
> > Didn't get to the arp -a command I just reinstalled network adapter and
> > now
> > it works better. Still have to fix some thingies to work as good as mono.
>
> > WRT54G - that's a wireless AP?
>
> The WRT54G v1-4 was a top shelf Wireless router based on Linux.  There are
> several third party firmware projects that give it close to m0n0wall
> functionality.  (RADIUS support, captive portal, dyndns...)  With V5+ they
> stripped the ram and went to VXworx for an OS.  Linux would no longer fit.
> Also the web interface crashes if you have ZoneAlarm on your system.  It
> can't handle as much traffic either.  But Linksys still had a tiny bit of
> clue left, as they packaged the Linux version as the WRT54GL, and now it is
> what I by to use as an access point.  Just another example of newer=worse.
>
>                                     Lee

Mats Lundqvist
+4670-513 73 87 (privat)