[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cable modem incoming pipe bandwidth
 Date:  Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:25:34 -0500
On 1/30/07, Michael <zlinda1002 at cox dot net> wrote:
> How do I go about setting a maximum bandwidth pipe for incoming (downloads)
> for a cable connection?
> The connection varies from 4Mbps to 11Mbps depending on the network traffic?

Cable modems have a fixed speed cap. Whether or not you can actually
utilize that to its full capacity depends mainly upon congestion in
any portion of your ISP's network and the speed of the remote server
(or the connection between the remote server and your ISP). It's
unlikely, unless your ISP's network is severely mismanaged, that your
actual connection is varying from 4-11 Mb. The reality is likely that
whatever you're connecting to can only reach that speed at that given
time. Another possibility is traffic shaping of some sort on your
ISP's network.

You should be able to set that to the actual cap and be fine. If your
ISP's network routinely gets bogged down and you can't actually reach
your cap, there isn't anything you can do about it. It would be
theoretically possible, though difficult, to write something to detect
changes in your actual maximum achievable throughput in near real time
and change pipes accordingly, but I don't know of anything that
permits something of that nature.

-Chris