[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cable modem incoming pipe bandwidth
 Date:  Wed, 31 Jan 2007 00:02:30 -0500
On 1/30/07, Michael <zlinda1002 at cox dot net> wrote:
> Technically you are correct. The average speed downloaded via nntp with
> shaping on is 4.71Mbps. With shaping off completely it spiked to 7-8Mbps but
> has been only averaging near 5 of 12Mbps which is my cap. I have ack on high
> priority 0-80. Late at night it will be 2.5x faster than it is now.
>
> Thanks for the suggest. So you just recommend I keep it at 12Mbps for the
> maximum inbound pipe?

Yeah, because regardless of what you are currently getting, you should
pretty much always be able to get 12 Mb if you find something fast
enough to fill the pipe. You won't hit the queuing in your modem until
you get to 12 Mb, and you aren't going to have problems with an
overloaded connection until your modem starts dropping or queuing
things.

As an example, I have a 15 Mb cable modem. I've never seen a download
from a single server (HTTP, FTP) go more than 11-12 Mb, and rarely
over 6 Mb or so. But if I download a very popular torrent like a BSD
iso or Linux distro with several hundred seeders, I can always peg my
connection at 15 Mb very, very easily. Just proof that it's not
anything in my ISP's or my network slowing the other transfer.

I'm assuming your situation is probably similar. That may not be the
case, during peak hours your ISP's network may be overloaded enough
that you have trouble getting your full connection speed. Regardless,
even in that case I'd leave it at your full connection speed and get
whatever you can from your ISP. Otherwise you're artificially lowering
your peak download speed regardless of what you may be able to get out
of your ISP.

-Chris