[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Armstrong" <lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  "'Marco Simioni'" <m dot simioni at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Performance audits and benchmarks?
 Date:  Thu, 1 Feb 2007 10:40:20 -0000
> Hi,
> i'd like to make performance benchmarks and audits on m0n0wall boxes.
> There is a way to log CPU and Memory usage?
>
> I mean, not to only view the real-time cpu and memory usage
> statistics, but to trace them in a log file.
>
> And also, what are correct values for usage statistics of memory and
> cpu? I mean, mean usage values, peaks and so on?
>
> I think a lot of people have this question, because it is always a
> problem to correctly dimension a box for m0n0wall, avoiding over- and
> under-dimensioning.

Your best avenue would probably be some form of SNMP monitoring.

Unfortunately at the moment m0n0wall doesn't include the necessary support
to graph memory usage.

1.3b2 is compiled with memory usage support for snmp, but 1.3 doesn't have
the same performance or memory usage characteristics as 1.2.

http://www.project-observer.org/mono.jpg shows examples of cpu & uptime
graphs done via snmp. I'm not running any 1.3 m0n0wall boxes yet.

Kind Regards,
Adam Armstrong