[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Hillel Seltzer" <hseltzer at larich dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Adding ser2net port server
 Date:  Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:03:30 -0400
Hello,

Thanks to Mats for help with the LTSP Term 150 problem.  I am
now running m0n0wall 1.3b2 on the terminal with no problems.
It seems that version 1.22 did not recognize the Realtek 8139C
onboard NIC.  The traffic shaper is great for a test WAN segment.

I have another LTSP 150 terminal which I would like to use as a
network server for five serial printers and one parallel printer.
Since m0n0wall works so well with this system on a small CF card,
could m0n0wall be adapted to work as a print server?  I could add
a 4-port serial PCI card compliant with the "puc" driver.  Would
the m0n0wall kernel recognize all six serial ports (4 on card
+ 2 on board) and the parallel port?  How difficult is it to
add ser2net to the m0n0wall image?  Ser2net
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/ser2net) should allow the
system to act like a JetDirect for the serial and parallel ports.
Note that I do not have a FreeBSD development system to play with.

Would anyone recommend a different distribution to use for
such an application?

Thanks.
---Hillel