[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Korves <tkml at cluster dash worxx dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Possibility of Routing Net <> Net over PPTP
 Date:  Tue, 06 Feb 2007 01:32:45 +0100
Hi there,

is there a stable and reliable possibility to route between 2 Networks
with the use of an pptp tunnel from m0n0wall to the otherside's router?

If, for some reason, the tunnel breaks down, the static route entry
seems to be defective after reestablishing the tunnel...

Let me say it in detail, or better, show it in detail:

If I set up the static route on my m0n0 to the PPTP-peer address,
everything (routing) works fine until it get's disconnected...

After bringing up the PPTP tunnel again, the route seems to be dead and
runs into nirvana... Packets aren't routed anymore... So I've to disable
this static route (delete it) and to reenable it by hand, after the
tunnel's build. After this, the packets are routed as normal between
m0n0wall and the other side...

Both, m0n0wall and the other sides router have static ips on their WAN
IF... Due to limitation on the other sides router, it is not possible to
use any other protocol than PPTP.

Another tunnel run on that m0n0wall, between itself and another m0n0,
works fine with IPSEC. Even after losing the connection, the tunnel and
routes are rebuild as they were before... Everything works just fine for
that tunnel...

Is there a chance to get a stable setup by using PPTP?

Regards,

Tim