[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  tkml at cluster dash worxx dot net
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Possibility of Routing Net <> Net over PPTP
 Date:  Mon, 05 Feb 2007 20:49:52 -0500
Tim Korves wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> is there a stable and reliable possibility to route between 2 Networks
> with the use of an pptp tunnel from m0n0wall to the otherside's router?
>
> If, for some reason, the tunnel breaks down, the static route entry
> seems to be defective after reestablishing the tunnel...
>
> Let me say it in detail, or better, show it in detail:
>
> If I set up the static route on my m0n0 to the PPTP-peer address,
> everything (routing) works fine until it get's disconnected...
>
> After bringing up the PPTP tunnel again, the route seems to be dead
> and runs into nirvana... Packets aren't routed anymore... So I've to
> disable this static route (delete it) and to reenable it by hand,
> after the tunnel's build. After this, the packets are routed as normal
> between m0n0wall and the other side...
>
> Both, m0n0wall and the other sides router have static ips on their WAN
> IF... Due to limitation on the other sides router, it is not possible
> to use any other protocol than PPTP.
>
> Another tunnel run on that m0n0wall, between itself and another m0n0,
> works fine with IPSEC. Even after losing the connection, the tunnel
> and routes are rebuild as they were before... Everything works just
> fine for that tunnel...
>
> Is there a chance to get a stable setup by using PPTP?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim
PPTP can accomplish this type of connection, however, there are other
much better protocols such as IPSEC.  In fact with IPSEC you don't even
need to set any routes, they are all automatic.  It's a shame that the
other end is limited to IPSEC.  If I were you I'd replace the other end.

Maybe a DEV can chime in here, but is the PPTP implementation in m0n0
even designed to do this, or just designed as a client/server setup?

Chris