[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tim Roberts" <pfsense at dsslink dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Captive Portal Limitations
 Date:  Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:05:20 -0500
The postings over at PFSense indicate I should try asking my questions here.

We have 3 PFSense gateways running here performing NAT and really have no firewall rules other then
the defaults. They are P4-2.4GHZ machines with 512MB of RAM. Currently they all issue DHCP and
around 400 total broadband clients flow through them evenly. It has been working flawless for many
months. We would like to enable captive portal to authenticate each user.

We use FreeRadius and Rodopi billing software. We setup a test gateway and enabled captive portal
using PFSense. We did not specify an idle timeout or hard time. We enabled "re-authenticate user
every 1 minute". We cannot enable hard timeouts or idle timeouts for fear VOIP customers will get
sideways. So our only option is to re-authenticate every 1 minute in order to terminate their
service if they fail to pay their subscription.

Since the billing system only runs once per day to cut off users (essentially just makes them absent
in the RADIUS users file), is there a way to change this 1 minute to 1 hour or 1 day? If so, would I
be making resource problems worse by forcing the gateway to track things longer?

How many simultaneous connections do you think each box will handle?

Is there any set limit on how many connections can re-authenticate at one time? I saw a post in
October here that mentioned 50 but looked like something was being added to "thread" the process it
runs.

This setup in theory as well as the very small scale test we tried works great. Were just worried
what may happen shoving that many people out at one time and don't really have a good way to find
out other then "open the gates".

Any suggestions on how to set this up a better way?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tim Roberts