[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Armstrong" <lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  "'C. Andrew Zook'" <andrewzook at pdqlocks dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] External Connections?
 Date:  Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:16:11 -0000
> I never understand why no one recommends PPTP for this. It is dead
> simple to set up, and it gives you SO much more than just access to the
> admin interface. Is it insecure?
>
> Andy
>
> Adam Armstrong wrote:
> > You need to create a firewall rule allowing connections to your
> > m0n0wall's external IP address from either everywhere, or the
> specific
> > IPs you want to connect from.

Personally, I use PPTP to remotely access things (usually if I want to see
the firewall, I want to see things behind the firewall too!)

Everyone in my office uses PPTP tunnels to our m0n0wall box for access to
the Sharepoint intranet and Exchange servers.

I've heard people claim that PPTP is insecure, but it's probably more secure
than not using it :)

On the other hand, I have holes punched into some of my friends' m0n0wall
servers for my IP at work so I can reach their devices without having to put
up a PPTP tunnel.

Adam.

17:52