[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Klaus Stock" <ks at stock dash consulting dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] External Connections?
 Date:  Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:45:31 +0100
> I never understand why no one recommends PPTP for this. It is dead
> simple to set up, and it gives you SO much more than just access to the
> admin interface. Is it insecure?

Yes. Sort of ;-)

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPTP .

An advantage of IPSec over PPTP is IMHO that IPSec allows for server
authentification. With PPTP, you never know if you just sent your auth
response to the real target machine or to a " man in the middle" (which
highjacked you DynDSN entry, or your router's IP address).

However, from a practical point of view, PPTP appears to be safe enough for
typical uses.

Best regards, Klaus
This mail sent using V-webmail - http://www.v-webmail.orgg