[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  Adam Armstrong <lists at memetic dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re/Debranding m0n0wall
 Date:  Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:07:17 -0500
Adam Armstrong wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I don't want to remove Manuel's copyright or other license notices, but I'd
> like to replace the logo and obvious identification strings.

good, because removing the copyright string is against the license :) I
have never played with it, but it looks like the obvious branding is
logo.gif, and if you are lazy, you could replace that with an image of
the same dimensions(150x47), name it logo.gif, and overwrite the
m0n0wall logo.

you might want to change the colors in the stylesheet to make it look
different. Aside from that, I don't see any branding. did you do a grep
-ri m0n0 over the whole filesystem?

Just make sure that the copyright notice is intact and that you provide
the source code if you redistribute - check license.php. IANAL, and I
also don't know about etiquette in this, but it looks like you must
retain the copyright notice somewhere, and that's that - though it would
make me feel weird if all I changed for this "fork" were the logo and
the colors, but that might be just me :).
If you rename the whole thing "voswall" (or "v0swall" to signify the
heritage), you probably need to reference m0n0 somewhere, check how the
pfsense team integrated the references to m0n0.

Sven