[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Armstrong" <lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  "'Sven Brill'" <madde at gmx dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Re/Debranding m0n0wall
 Date:  Sun, 11 Feb 2007 00:17:50 -0000
> > I don't want to remove Manuel's copyright or other license notices,
> but I'd
> > like to replace the logo and obvious identification strings.
> >
> good, because removing the copyright string is against the license :) I

I don't want to break any licenses, I just would rather use m0n0wall than
PIX! :)

> have never played with it, but it looks like the obvious branding is
> logo.gif, and if you are lazy, you could replace that with an image of
> the same dimensions(150x47), name it logo.gif, and overwrite the
> m0n0wall logo.
>
> you might want to change the colors in the stylesheet to make it look
> different. Aside from that, I don't see any branding. did you do a grep
> -ri m0n0 over the whole filesystem?

I'm not overly familiar with the internals of m0n0, i thought i'd ask before
i started breaking things!

It's not necessary to remove all mentions of m0n0, just the obvious bits...

> Just make sure that the copyright notice is intact and that you provide
> the source code if you redistribute - check license.php. IANAL, and I
> also don't know about etiquette in this, but it looks like you must
> retain the copyright notice somewhere, and that's that - though it
> would
> make me feel weird if all I changed for this "fork" were the logo and
> the colors, but that might be just me :).
> If you rename the whole thing "voswall" (or "v0swall" to signify the
> heritage), you probably need to reference m0n0 somewhere, check how the
> pfsense team integrated the references to m0n0.

I'm not planning to 'fork', rather to merely change some strings and logos
of each release before I pass them on to our customers!

It does feel a little weird to do such things to someone else's work... But
otherwise I'd have to use PIX or Netscreen! :\

Adam.