[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Ipsec help...
 Date:  Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:43:32 -0800
Hello all,

Ipsec seems to be a question that is asked about a lot and
unfortunately I have questions too. This is the first time that I
have tried setting this up. I've read the instructions on the site
and think I have a connection established, but can't quite figure how
to communicate with hosts on the other end which makes me suspect
things...

I am trying to get a m0n0 to m0n0 connection established. I think I
have gotten it up, but I can't seem to connect to hosts on the other
side of the VPN. Both sides are running v1.22 and have static IP
addresses. 1 LAN network is numbered 192.168.1.0/24 and the other is
192.168.10.0/24.

I see this in the logs and also see entries under the SAD and SPD
tabs under Diagnostics > IPSec on the remote end.

Feb 11 01:26:46
racoon: INFO: IPsec-SA established: ESP/Tunnel 66.114.yyy.zzz[0]-
 >75.160.aa.bbb[0] spi=231105620(0xdc66454)
Feb 11 01:26:46
racoon: DEBUG: ===
Feb 11 01:26:46
racoon: DEBUG: get pfkey ADD message
Feb 11 01:26:46
racoon: INFO: IPsec-SA established: ESP/Tunnel 75.160.aa.bbb[0]-
 >66.114.yyy.zzz[0] spi=189635884(0xb4d9d2c)

Once the connection seems established, I try to ssh to a host on the
remote end or browse to a page that should be running, but nothing
ever happens. I have not added firewall rules or static routes or
anything besides the info in setting up the ipsec connection.

How should I troubleshoot this? How do I know it's working? Ping from
my laptop does not seem to work either. What can I do to make sure
that it's up? If it's not up, what might be my problem.