[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Morton <rokclimb15 at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder not working over PPTP
 Date:  Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:44:36 -0500
Hi everyone,

I am running 1.23b3 pc-generic on a PII 300 with 128MB RAM.  This is my
first set up at this location, so I can't say if this feature worked
prior to this version.  I have the option set to "register dhcp leases
in DNS forwarder".  In my prior experience with m0n0wall, this should
cause a Windows computer name to resolve to the internal ip address (for
instance, a computer named "brian" should resolve to an internal address
when "brian" is pinged).  This does not seem to be the case when I
connect via PPTP.

I am attempting to set up a system where I can VPN into the network via
PPTP on the m0n0wall, then remote desktop to the appropriate workstation
based on Windows hostname.  Is there anything particular to PPTP that
would cause this feature not to work?  I know network neighborhood
doesn't function properly over PPTP, so I'm wondering if a lack of
NetBIOS function could be causing this somehow.  But, that doesn't make
sense to me since the names should be registered in DNS upon DHCP lease,
and should not be bound to NetBIOS in any way.  Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.