[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brian Morton" <rokclimb15 at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder not working over PPTP
 Date:  Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:52:30 -0500
I have figured out the issue, now I just need to figure out how to fix it.

By default, m0n0wall only includes a rule to allow TCP traffic from the PPTP
clients.  Since DNS is a UDP protocol, all DNS lookups from PPTP clients
were being blocked.  I added a rule to allow all UDP traffic over the PPTP
interface, and this resolved the issue of being able to resolve names.

Unfortunately, it appears Windows XP tries the local DNS servers for my
network interface before trying the one on my PPTP interface.  This means
that when I try to resolve a hostname on the m0n0wall network, it first
attempts my primary local DNS server, which is a public DNS server for my
ISP.  This lookup fails, and it assumes that the host does not exist.  Is
there any way to make the DNS server served by the PPTP server take priority
over my local DNS?