[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Brian Morton <rokclimb15 at gmail dot com>
 To:  Falcor <falcor at netassassin dot com>
 Cc:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder not working over PPTP
 Date:  Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:35:00 -0500
You are correct about my setup.  It is as you described it with the DNS
forwarder).  However, it seems that nslookup on Windows XP gives up when
it tries to find the hostname on the first DNS server (primary local
DNS, provided by my ISP, Speakeasy).  It doesn't subsequently try my
secondary local or primary PPTP (m0n0wall).  If I manually specify

nslookup <remote NetBIOS hostname to try> 192.168.0.1

where 192.168.0.1 is my m0n0wall address, it succeeds.  However, the XP
networking stack doesn't seem to have the sense to do this on its own.