[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  INFO <info at mazatecsolutions dot com dot au>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Extending factory network
 Date:  Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:18:38 -0800
You might want to consider doing this:

Make each site it's own IP subnet at a minimum, or have multiple IP
subnets and filter between them using multiple interfaces of a m0n0wall,
or multiple m0n0walls.

Utilize a third subnet to route between the sites over your wireless link.

Realistically 200m should be fine for any stock dipole antennas that you
likely have.  If not, utilize sector/square/patch antennas (a different
name for the same thing) for a directional application, as they tolerate
variance in signal due to distortion and reflection quite well.  You'll
invariably see these in place for short distance runs in professional
installations when they're feasible.  You won't see them on the top of a
light pole.  They work nicely for wall mount or window mount
applications on the outsides of buildings, or even inside if the wall
material is mostly transparent to 2.4Ghz.

Tree's kill WiFi, but try not to kill the trees.  You'll feel goofy for
whacking them down when 802.11n is drafted and incorporated into the
mainstream, which should be within a year or three.

I would utilize the m0n0wall at each site for the DHCP server for that
site.  m0n0wall does support dynamic dns registration, you can find it
on the DNS Forwarder page:

[X] Enable DNS forwarder
[X] Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder

"If this option is set, then machines that specify their hostname when
requesting a DHCP lease will be registered in the DNS forwarder, so that
their name can be resolved. You should also set the domain in System:
General setup to the proper value."

You might want to consider a VPN tunnel over the WiFi link if you have
the CPU power on each end to handle a half duplex link of up to 54mbps.
  I assume that with a 200m distance and a clear line of site between
antennas, you should be able to obtain 54mbps readily or something near it.

You can utilize Windows File Share/Sharepoint services entirely over a
routed IP network.