[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Bart Dubelaar <bart at hoteldeplataan dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Captive Portal bandwidth limiting
 Date:  Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:24:11 +0100
Hello  everyone,

I've set up a wireless hotspot with m0n0wall as a captive portal. I'm
using the latest beta version (1.3b2), which is really great as you
can run it from a USB stick. The system is up and running for 3 days
now and it's working great!
One thing that I'm not sure about is if I should prevent excessive
use of bandwidth by users (p2p) in any way. The connection to the
internet is by means of ADSL. One of the nasty things of ADSL is that
when the upload channel get's maxed out the download channel stops
working also. So to prevent this I could blocks ports used by p2p
programs, but I don't like to limit the usability. The other thing is
could do is limit bandwidth usage. In the Captive Portal settings
page one can define a maximum bandwidth availability per user. The
thing is that all the users share one single captive portal account.
So now finally coming to my actual question: Is the bandwidth
availability that I can set in the captive portal page linked to one
user account or is it applied to every physical user that connects
regardless of the account that is used?
For example, if I limit the bandwidth to 100kb and 2 users with
account ' guest' connect, will they both get the 100kb at their
disposition or will they share it?

Regards,

Bart Dubelaar