[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Routing specific traffic over 2nd WAN
 Date:  Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:42:42 -0000
Greetings list,

I know m0n0 doesn't officially support dual WANs or load balancing, but in
the past I've been able to route some specific traffic over a separate
connection attached to the OPT1 interface, but it's generally involved a
pair of m0n0s. I'm wondering if it can be done with 1 box, especially if
each WAN has an ADSL modem/router acting as the default gateway.

Imagine the following scenario:

WAN1: ADSL router on 1.1.1.0/30 (usable addresses 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2)
WAN2: ADSL router on 2.2.2.0/30 (usable addresses 2.2.2.1 and 2.2.2.2)

WAN is configured in m0n0 in the usual way: static IP 1.1.1.2, with default
gateway 1.1.1.1 (the ADSL modem).

OPT1 is configured in m0n0 with static IP 2.2.2.2 with submask /30. Static
routes are then created to route traffic to certain IP ranges via this
second connection's gateway: 2.2.2.1

So, a static route might for example be as follows:
Network			GW
89.145.201.160/29	2.2.2.1

Questions if I may:

1) Before I embarrass myself at a client's premises, would this actually
work?
2) If yes, what interface would one specify in the static route? LAN or
OPT1?
3) If no, is there any way to accomplish this without resorting to dual m0n0
boxes?

Why am I trying to do this? Well, we have a few locations with 2 ADSL
connections: an 8mb/832k for general net usage, and a slower 256/256 for
VoIP (even a slow 256k connection can handle quite a few concurrent calls
with g729 or iLBC)

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chris