[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dave Penn <djpenn3 at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  can't get m0n0wall to open port 80 other than to webGUI
 Date:  Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:32:52 -0600
Hi and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I have Comcast and have been running HTTP and FTP servers through a
Netgear router with no problem.

I heard great things about m0n0wall and decided to give it a go.  I've
installed m0n0wall 1.23b3 on a generic pc's hard drive using a
two-interface system to keep things simple for initial configuration
purposes.  I'm using Intel Pro/100 nics for both interfaces.  The
LAN-to-WAN connection works great.  Had to power-cycle the cable modem
to get a connection without spoofing one of my PC's MAC addresses, but
that fixed it.  I have the webGUI set to work via https on port 443.

I have DHCP running on the LAN.  Three machines, two of which are
servers I need to give access to from the WAN, are on static IP
assignments, outside of the DHCP address range.

I set up a NAT (inbound) HTTP assignment to my web server's LAN IP
address and let the webGUI create a corresponding firewall rule.
Everything else is configured as installed.

The problem is that monowall won't direct HTTP traffic to the NAT-ed LAN
host I've specified.  If I enter either my WAN IP or domain name into a
browser, I get nothing.  I can reset the webGUI to work on http (port
80), but then if I try to access my WAN IP or domain name, all I get is
the webGUI login prompt - not a connection to my web server, as I've
configured in the NAT and firewall rules.  I've tried deleting all the
NAT and firewall entries and starting over, but to no avail.  Also tried
blocking WAN access to m0n0wall's LAN IP address - that didn't work either.

Reading the logs shows no traffic either passed or blocked on port 80.

On the other hand, putting my cheapo Netgear router back in line
restores everything just as if I hadn't just wasted several hours on
another piece of underdeveloped open-source geekware.  Maybe you get
what you pay for in this case as in most others.

I'd like to use m0n0wall and  have time to work, drink, get laid, go
shopping, etc.

Can anyone help?

-Dave