[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Routing specific traffic over 2nd WAN
 Date:  Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:03:05 -0500
Chris Bagnall wrote:

> So, a static route might for example be as follows:
> Network			GW
> 89.145.201.160/29	2.2.2.1
>

> Questions if I may:
>
> 1) Before I embarrass myself at a client's premises, would this actually
> work?

yes
> 2) If yes, what interface would one specify in the static route? LAN or
> OPT1?

you are telling the box on which interface it can see the hosts on
89.145.201.160/29, so OPT1, unless I have a massive brain fart.

> Why am I trying to do this? Well, we have a few locations with 2 ADSL
> connections: an 8mb/832k for general net usage, and a slower 256/256 for
> VoIP (even a slow 256k connection can handle quite a few concurrent calls
> with g729 or iLBC)

Should not be a problem with a static route, as long as you know that
the target is not moving. :) just remember that ALL traffic to this
network now goes through OPT1 rather than WAN, so if the hosts on
89.145.201.160/29 are more than VOIP targets, you might end up with the
wrong traffic there - as Lee said, in that case, you need to figure out
a way to identify the VOIP traffic to route it through OPT1.

Sven