[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  Chris Bagnall <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Routing specific traffic over 2nd WAN
 Date:  Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:03:05 -0500
Chris Bagnall wrote:
> So, a static route might for example be as follows:
> Network			GW
> Questions if I may:
> 1) Before I embarrass myself at a client's premises, would this actually
> work?
> 2) If yes, what interface would one specify in the static route? LAN or
> OPT1?
you are telling the box on which interface it can see the hosts on, so OPT1, unless I have a massive brain fart.
> Why am I trying to do this? Well, we have a few locations with 2 ADSL
> connections: an 8mb/832k for general net usage, and a slower 256/256 for
> VoIP (even a slow 256k connection can handle quite a few concurrent calls
> with g729 or iLBC)
Should not be a problem with a static route, as long as you know that
the target is not moving. :) just remember that ALL traffic to this
network now goes through OPT1 rather than WAN, so if the hosts on are more than VOIP targets, you might end up with the
wrong traffic there - as Lee said, in that case, you need to figure out
a way to identify the VOIP traffic to route it through OPT1.