[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  peter <peter at beetlebolt dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Setup for manual wan backup
 Date:  Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:36:06 -0500
I've set up m0n0wall on a soekris 4801 with 3 nics and I want to set it
up so I can easily and hopefully, remotely, switch to the wan backup
(opt1) in case the wan interface fails.

My first problem is I can't figure out how to make the m0n0wall
interface (https) available through the opt1 static ip.  I've created a
firewall rule to allow https (443) traffic though opt1. Do I need to
enable Advanced Outbound Nat? If so, I'll have to make 2 rules to
forward Lan to both Wan and Opt1?

But once I can see opt1 from the outside (and can configure m0n0wall
remotely through it), What will I need to do to switch over when Wan
fails? Could I simply choose to bridge opt1 with Wan and update my dns
servers and the size of the traffic shaper pipes? (different isps and
different bandwidths)

Anything else?

thx,
peter