[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Date:  Wed, 21 Feb 2007 09:52:31 -0800
I'm a grouchy old man.  You kids better get off my yard or I'll have to
come after you with my cane!!!!

Anyways:

Both NICS on this auction item are four port DEC Tulips->Intel EEPro's
on a chip (21142/21143's commonly) - they were usually sold in Sparc's
and networking appliances (firewalls, etc.)  They're great NICs and well
supported.  They're not by any stretch of anyones imagination a modern
NIC, as they're both over four years old.  Nokia used ZNYX NICs
throughout their IPseries of firewalls for many years, including a model
quite similar to the ZX374 on this machine.

These firewalls take bog standard 64/66 PCI cards (and 32bit) - I'm not
sure about the voltages as I'm not familiar with that servers backplane.

These are old Captus Boxes (Captus was bought by Deep Nines, and you've
likely never heard of either company).

Grains of Salt:

If you're planning on using these as an SMP machine, be sure to factor
in that the box is currently single proc.  It's a Socket 370, and as
such you'll likely have to find matched stepping CPU's to go dual proc.

In any event, you're looking at obtaining at least one more matching
pIII to the one that's in there (733's are common) and another low
profile CPU heatsink for it, which might be a little more difficult to find.

128mb ram is adequate for m0n0wall, but plan on bumping up the ram that
you'll use down the road.  Given the it's an SMP box, it's likely going
to require ECC registered ram or some such, which might cost more.

These are LOUD.  These are just before the era of airflow optimized
servers.  Look at the left of the picture of the open unit and you'll
see a 40mm fan.  Look at the top of the unit in the picture (rear side)
and you'll see 5 40mm fans.  If you look in the northwest corner you
might spot another 40mm fan, so this unit has at least 7 of them.

My 2k bytes on this whole posting on the mailing list bit:

I've posted hardware for sale on this list.  I gave a pretty nice
discount and had some interest in the unit (people still occasionally
mail me asking about Soekris gear).  I have more hardware that the
m0n0wall crowd might enjoy, like ATA flash units, crypto accelerators,
etc. that freebsd/m0n0 seem to like.  I'm not going to be posting any
for the duration of this discussion, partly because I've not had a
chance to fully test the units out.

If the unit posted to the list is also going on eBay, it's likely that
someone looking for a firewall box has found it or is searching for it
already.  Marketing to the open source firewall crowd -and- eBay seems
quite pointless.  Now you're forcing the m0n0wall folks (who might not
be on eBay) to compete with buyers on eBay.

Marketing a 7 day auction on a mailing list that might push 10-20
messages per day is silly.  Some people might not see your auction
notice until it's over.  I get people asking about my post on the
mailing list, and I made that at least three months back.

How many other mailing lists are these eBay auctions being pushed on?

Giving a marginal token of appreciation like "free shipping if you
mention the mailing list" might seem like it makes it all better but the
  cost is distributed amongst all of the mailing list subscriber while
only one person will benefit directly by the discount.  Certainly a
basically non-discount on a unit will not aid the m0n0wall community
much, nor do the devs get another box to play with.

I don't care for spam.  I'm sure that most of the folks on this list
have to deal with spam on a daily basis as part of their jobs.  Let's
cut it out here before we have to implement any "best chance" automated
spam filters for our m0n0wall list postings!!!

Basically, if the unit is going to be posted on the mailing list, it
really shouldn't already be on an Auction site.  The discount should
reflect that you're saving fees on an auction site and the hassle of
dealing with an auction.

I suspect that we all have a general feeling of what hardware is
acceptable for sale/trade on this list.  I suspect that we don't have
enough people with hardware to really warrant an active mailing list
dedicated to m0n0wall related hardware sales, but I could be quite
mistaken.

There are pluses and minuses to this, but the point is that this is a
mailing list primarily for technical discussion, not eBay.

If a hard stance must be taken, I vote for no sales/solicitation on this
list.