[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Date:  Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:59:43 -0800
Topic changed to reflect thread path

I like the idea of commercial usage funding the mailing list/m0n0wall,
inclusive of sponsored m0n0.ch links and mailing list posts.  I think
there should be some form of governance, such as 1 post per 4 days from
any sponsor but a maximum of some odd number in a month, etc. The
numbers used are for display purposes.

Similar restrictions could be imposed for hobbyists that have hardware
for sale.  The hobbyist class of message should not have to pay.

For the purposes of filtering/sorting, the postings could be modified
with a new header such as: [m0n0wall] [commercials].  The hobbyist and
business traffic should be mixed, which gives a little extra value to
the business traffic's ads.

I've pondered the eBay response that I gave in the primordial stage of
this thread.  My response to that is that I believe a third party
transaction system, like an auction house, could be beneficial for the
security minded crowd's sales.  Private auctions can be held, but there
really shouldn't be any restrictions imposed by the mailing list on the
method of sale.

I certainly have enjoyed funding my hobby with my hobby and I'm no
stranger to sales of Computing equipment.  It's possible that I will be
establishing a consulting company in the near future, but it's also
possible that I'll go a different direction.  As it would involve
consulting, I am staking a claim in the interest of commercials on this
mailing list.