[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mike <lists at southwestech dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using m0n0wall as a pay / min service....
 Date:  Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:03:06 -0600
ATM Logic wrote:
> Just wondering, I have someone that wants to have customers (Hwy Trucks)
> pull in, and have wireless available to them, in some cases, give away x
> number of mins service, and in other cases 'sell' them 15min blocks of
> time... (15,30,45,60 etc)
>
> How would you do this?
>
> I have m0n0wall setup, mostly just for testing, off the top of my head, I
> would just put in a few hundred users / passwords   with 15/30/45/60 mins
> etc, have a list of them, and hand out the user/pass and strike it off the
> list??  Maybe over simple... or too complicated?  Not sure...
>
> Anyone have an Idea?
>
> One of the key factors is the person giving out the user/pass will not have
> access to the m0n0wall unit, or if they do, they may be 17years old, not
> have a clue, and be looking to download music........
>
> Thanks for any ideas...

I looked at this, the major issues I found were that even after the hard
disconnect, the user could just log right back in. After the 24 hour
period when the account actually expires, then they could not. I had put
in a feature request with pfsense to handle exactly what you want to do,
with a simple front end (optional) to handle UID's/ PW's so the employee
does not even have to log into the firewall. Whether anything actually
comes of it, who knows. It sure would be nice to have that kind of
functionality in captive portal.
For the time being, I ended up running a dlink hotspot and AP on the
optional interface inside the m0n0 to handle that end of things with the
attached receipt printer. It can dynamically handle the user accounts
and flush them when they expire after the set time, and it can be
configured as a pay, or free service, and does it with a button push on
the receipt printer. Way less employee intervention required, and that
is good on all fronts.

Mike