[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using m0n0wall as a pay / min service....
 Date:  Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:07:22 -0600
Mike wrote:
> Lee Sharp wrote:

>> Use RADIUS authentication, and just use one of the many billing front
>> end systems.

> Wouldn't the little hotspot box be easier? Admittedly, I don't have much
> experience with RADIUS authentication. A server for IAS or the *nix
> equivalent would be required wouldn't it? A big piece of extra hardware
> with configurations versus a small one (hotspot box). If I am incorrect
> in this, please tell me. I have been looking (briefly) at a wireless
> access area for a couple small towns using RADIUS, and want to know all
> I can about it before I commit to it.

Why does Radius server mean big box? The systems listed in the Via posts
would work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856110056

 > MSI C7 system:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856167012

Install Linux and Free Radius, and the front end of choice.  (Probably
with Apache)  You probably don't even need a lot of RAM or hard drive.

			Lee